Friday, 21 March 2014

Spring Project Week 3 - Embroidery stitches for filling

I'm going all squirrelly on you for this week's design. Lots of details and bits for you to fill in...I hope you enjoy! And so on to the stitchery teachery bit....


Last week  you'll remember I shared 4 embroidery stitches that can be used for sewing lines in a design......go here if you missed it.
This week is all about filling in parts of a design and what stitches can be used. There is a long list and many variations of embroidery stitches that can be used, I am  going to share some common basic ones.....

Satin stitch has had a spell over me for many years, its the smooth silky texture the embroidery thread creates over the contrasting fabric that lures me. I have lost count of the hundreds of hours I have spent satin stitching a design to adorn a bag, trousers or skirt. It is my favourite stitch hands down.




....................................................................................................................

French knots had me baffled for years, not sure why as they really are so so simple. All you need to do is wrap the thread around the needle twice (or more if you want a chunkier knot) , tighten the thread and slide it down to the tip of the needle and then pull the needle through the fabric until tight...et voila a little french knot. Tres bien! Clump lots of french knots closely together and you get a lovely textured knobbly area. (*French knot instructions are also in the Stitch Library found in the sidebar*)

..................................................................................................................

Chain Stitch is another great filler and creates another nice textured effect. The best way to use chain stitch is to follow the contours of the space needing filled. In the example used here the stitches form a circular spiral working their way in towards the centre point as the arrows depict. Detailed instruction on how to chain stitch can be found here.

Of course an area doesn't have to always be completely filled, and sometimes leaving spaces adds to the finished embroidery design. Here are some suggestions with this in mind:

After satin stitch I reckon running stitch is my favourite.. namely because it is quick! The other reason being that I find it so therapeutic...the repetitive weave of the needle in and out , love it!

...............................................................................................................


..................................................................................................................





Come back next week to find out about applique techniques which are also used for filling areas...and another bunting design too of course.
All thats left is to wish you some happy sewing!x



5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures as ever. Am just checking, are there any stitch guides for Mr happy with his acorn, looks to me like satin st on the body and leaves, running stitch on tail with lines on face and french knots on leg but keep me straight! Have just updated my blog with my blossoms flag, finished tonight as saw squirrel was up and have a ton of knitting to do to. Idle hands and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo, there's no stitch guide...just leaving it up to you to experiment and see what you prefer, though I popped the dashed lines in as option, and to give suggestion of stitch direction.You may need to use long and short stitch for the squirrel's body instead of satin stitch as the area to cover is quite large.I haven't covered that stitch here but there are loads of tutorials if you google it!
    What I love about embroidery is that 2 different people will come up with 2 different ways to stitch a design.Can't wait to see what you come up with! Ps. LOVING your blossoms, they have come out beautifully :)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realise you'd turned your blog comments back on.....I just left you a couple of comments on facebook - Loving your adorable doe designs :-) And as I love using embroidery in my art I shall spend some time looking at your helpful advice on stitches - great to get advice from someone who is an expert on such matters.
    Hope all good up North :-)
    Hugs
    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip on shading...I'd not thought about varying the shading depending on how far into the first colour I go. Your instructions are lovely and clear :-) I've tended to learn embroidery stitches through experimenting, trial and error mainly because I don't seem to soak in instructional books that well. But I have to say your pictures are really simple to follow - well done & thanks for sharing :-)
    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat, how are you lovely? Thanks so much for all your comments. Thats so great to hear the instructions make sense and are clear..and you managed to pick up something new. My job is done :)x

      Delete